Actions gone crazy

A place to discuss everything about all4hue.
Ein Ort um alles Mögliche über all4hue zu diskutieren.
AlejandroSarco

Actions gone crazy

Post by AlejandroSarco » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:24 am

Yesterday I downloaded the app to my Android device, and to test it I created an action to do a Color Loop.
It worked fine (although some colours moved too quickly). Since it was late I night, I turned off the lights using the Hue switch (as I usually do) and went to bed.
The next morning, when I tried to turn the lights on again using the switch, the color loop was still there. I tried to cycle the scenes by pressing the buttons on the switch, but that only changed the intensity of the lights (like the scenes were changing, but the colour loop was still running on top of them). Turning it off and on with the switch changed nothing.
After a while, even the switch stopped working, and I couldn't even turn off the lights.
I tried to stop the loop from the application, nothing happened. I tried creating another action for stopping the loop, nothing happened. There's was no way to stop the loop or turning off the lights.
Finally, the only way was to cut power to the lights. I had to do this a few times until the lights went back to their original states and the switch will work as expected, turning the lights on and off and cycling through the scenes.

So, is the app buggy, or did I do something wrong?

MarcusZ.

Re: Actions gone crazy

Post by MarcusZ. » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi,
The app just starts the colorloop,, which then runs on the bridge itself (speed not changeable), until disabled again via app. Usually, turning off the light also ends the loop (at least for original Philips Lights).
From your description the light ended up "unreachable", and the loop could not be stopped.

What kind of lights do you use? How far away from the bridge?

Kind regards,
Marcus
2x Bridge V2 (+deCONZ/HA-Bridge)
Hue Go (+BT), Lightstrip (in/out), Play, Bloom; E14+E27 Bulb; Iris, Aura.
Motion sensor (in/out), Dimmer (old/new), Smart Button, Tap Dial.

P.S.: Ich bin *kein* Entwickler von all 4 hue, aber Hue Poweruser!

AlejandroSarco

Post by AlejandroSarco » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:18 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply.
The lights are 4 Innr bulbs and are in the same room the Hue bridge is. Never had problems with them, and I don't think they were unreachable because at first I could turn them on and off with the Hue switch, only the colorloop would not stop.

MarcusZ.

Post by MarcusZ. » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:05 pm

OK, then maybe Innr lights don't stop colorloop when turned off and go crazy then. ^^
I cannot say because I don't have any of those. Or it was a one time thing.
In case you want to use the colorloop thing, better stop it before turning the light off.

Keep observing.

Regards,
Marcus

AlejandroSarco

Post by AlejandroSarco » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:21 pm

Even worse, after a while the lights become unresponsive, and it keep happening. Worst thing is even an Innr bulb that is in the bedroom, and wasn't ever "colorlooping", it's also affected.
So obviously there's an incompatibility between the app and the Innr bulb, so I'm going to uninstall the app.
Maybe you want to get yourself an Inrr colour bulb to try and fix the problem, if you do please let me know and I'll give the app another try. Thanks.

MarcusZ.

Post by MarcusZ. » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:11 pm

Hi,
I'm just a user of the app community, but have lots of experience with Hue, the bridge API and some other brands.

The app does not really program your bulbs at all, and cannot do so. It just uses the available API functions to control lights via bridge, or program rules on the bridge, for automation.

In case there are incompatibilities, those are probably between the bridge and the lights. I did also experience this with Osram, Tradfri (Ikea) and Tint (Müller Licht), and not only for special functions.

There is no such thing as 100% compatibility. The app developer probably can't do much against this.
I assume it could then also have happened if you had used the original Philips app.
But without testing, one will not know. Maybe other Innr users can try it.

Regards,
Marcus

P.S.: Maybe it even was some other odd coincidence.