Can Rules Work Across Multiple Bridges?

A place to discuss everything about all4hue.
Ein Ort um alles Mögliche über all4hue zu diskutieren.
theflyinggiraffe

Can Rules Work Across Multiple Bridges?

Post by theflyinggiraffe » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:26 pm

I'm thinking about adding a second Hue Bridge to my setup (as I'm approaching the device limits).

If you have two bridges in the all4hue app (Android), can you have it so that a rule controls an action on the other bridge (e.g. turns off a light that's paired with the other bridge)?

As an example, I have a Dimmer Switch where I have the off button turn off every light in the house. Will it still be able to do this when the lights are spanning two Bridges?

ReneWahl
Site Admin

Re: Can Rules Work Across Multiple Bridges?

Post by ReneWahl » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Hi,

It is currently technically not possible to have any communication between different hue bridges. Each bridge has its own environment and does not know anything about the rest of the world. This is how Philips has designed it. Let's see if Philips will change this one day, would be great :-)

BR
Rene
all4hue Developer / Entwickler

MarcusZ.

Re: Can Rules Work Across Multiple Bridges?

Post by MarcusZ. » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:18 am

Hello together,

unforturnately that's true. I already do use two bridges, because I ran into the former max number of rules (and sensors) limits...

My hint would be to segment the house logically if possible, to reduce need for such inter-bridge communication. (I basically moved some less frequently used rooms, which do have motion sensor control and dimmer switches, to the second bridge.)

Kind regards,
Marcus

P.S.: Nevertheless, while developers are still waiting for philips to support webhooks for something like sharing events with other (home automation) systems:
To workaround the missing link, I just created two memory sensors on each of my bridges (CLIPGenericStatus). One is for sending values to the other bridge, and the other for receiving.
I synchronize these using a shell script on a raspberry pi to check the OUT sensor on each bridge every 10s, and if changed (compare lastupdated with previous run) write the value to the IN sensor on the other bridge.
This means only few additional load for each system, but allows for some interaction.
2x Bridge V2 (+deCONZ/HA-Bridge)
Hue Go (+BT), Lightstrip (in/out), Play, Bloom; E14+E27 Bulb; Iris, Aura.
Motion sensor (in/out), Dimmer (old/new), Smart Button, Tap Dial.

P.S.: Ich bin *kein* Entwickler von all 4 hue, aber Hue Poweruser!